Monday, March 26, 2012

Old Cahawba (Cahaba)



This past fall I went out to the old Alabama Ghost Town of Old Cahawba or (Cahaba) as its sometimes spelled. It is located just outside of Selma, Alabama and sits between the Cahaba and Alabama river.





I found this to be a very interesting place. It was the first state capital of Alabama and a thriving antebellum river town. It was once home to a Confederate ran Civil War Prison. Now, its not much more than a few roads and even fewer structures.



There is a cemetery there with many people resting in their final resting place. Many died from a wide spread sickness that killed many in the town. The cemetery is not in the best of shape. Many of the graves have broken stones and/or open tombs.




It is my hopes that eventually they will work towards preserving some of the graves there.




Historic St. Lukes Episcopal Church Building.





This 150 year old structure was designed by Richard Upjohn. When I was there this building was in the process of being restored.




There are still standing, a couple of the old columns that were part of the Crocheron Home.



Here is where the Confederate ran prison was situated at.


It is absolutely amazing to me to think of the history that happened here so many years ago.





If you are a person who enjoys history and you are in the Selma, Alabama area anytime soon it is well worth it to take a stroll through here and check out the sights. There are signs up in key spots to tell you what once was there. You can see basement impressions in the ground in places. There is an old chimney where the Prison once stood. (maybe part of the actual prison chimney).  There was so much history in the area that if you let yourself imagine.....you can hear all the sounds, picture the buildings, see the citizens...the soldiers.

This place was very moving to me. There is a website for anyone who is interested. It can be found at

http://www.cahawba.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

On the website you can read more history on the town, donate and also see some of their own pics.


I am in no way affiliated with the town. Just someone who enjoyed my visit there and took a few pics. I felt it would be fun to share with you on this blog. Hope you enjoyed the small tour.


All of my photos are copyright protected and owned by me. If you wish to use one of my photos please contact me at JWheeler331@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment